Health related sites
Health Care Complaints Act
The NSW Health Care Complaints Act governs the operation of the NSW Health Care Complaints Commission.
- Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing – for information on aged care services
- Joint Parliamentary Committee on Health Care Complaints Commission the Committee monitors and reviews the Commission's functions, annual reports and other reports to Parliament. The Committee is not authorised to re-investigate a particular complaint; or to reconsider a decision to investigate, not to investigate or to discontinue investigation of a particular complaint; or to reconsider the findings, recommendations, determinations or other decisions of the Commission, or of any other person, in relation to a particular investigation or complaint.
- NSW Ministry of Health - its website offers a wide range of information about health subjects, policies, publications and a directory of public health services in NSW. The website includes information on how to voice health care concerns or give feedback about health services.
Other health care complaints bodies (Australia and New Zealand)
Health consumer participation
- Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI) - was established in January 2010 to drive continuous improvement in the way care is provided to patients in the NSW health system.
- Australian Dental Association - a section on 'frequently asked questions about dentures, sedation, fillings and lots of other dental subjects. The website also provides general dental health information and 10 tips on finding a good dentist.
- Australian Dental Association - NSW Branch - Three Community Relation Officers are employed to provide a telephone-based advisory service to assist members of the public.
- Better Health Channel (Victorian Government) information regarding health matters as well as advice on such things as 'Choosing your doctor' and an online medical dictionary.
- Bureau of Health Information - aims to be the leading source of information on the performance of the NSW public health system. The Bureau was established in September 2009 by the NSW Government.
- Clinical Excellence Commission (CEC) - develops and implements training and education initiatives to improve quality and safety in health services.
- Drug Info - provides information on a wide range of issues for people with drug and alcohol problems and their family and friends. This website is the official NSW Government website on drug issues. It has fact sheets on illicit drugs, legal issues and treatment options.
- Health Education and Training Institute (HETI) - has the mandate to coordinate education and training across the whole NSW Public Health System.
- Health Information Service - State Library of NSW
- Health Direct – the website provides access to trusted, quality health information and advice online and over the phone. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Mental Health Association NSW - information available for download about mental disorders, treatments and the Mental Health Act. There is an information service that people can contact via email or the telephone with an 1800 phone number for regional and rural people. The Mental Health Association also provides information about other services available for those who have a mental illness and those who care for them.
- MyDr - provides information about medications and also has information about healthy living, medical conditions and treatments.
- National Mental Health Commission - provides advice to the Commonwealth governments, monitors the mental health system and advising on opportunities for improvement. The Commission works with consumers, carers, stakeholders and all jurisdictions and seeks to share knowledge and information on program and service evaluation.
- NPS (formerly known as National Prescribing System) – provides information and services to health professionals and the community on quality use of medicines. Consumer medicine information phone line: 1300 MEDICINE (1300 633 424).
- NSW Official Visitors Program - Official Visitors are appointed by the NSW Minister for Health to visit people in mental health inpatient facilities in NSW and are available to assist consumers on community treatment orders. Official Visitors are independent from the health system and come from the community from a range of cultural, professional and personal backgrounds.
- Private Health Insurance Ombudsman - deals with complaints about private health insurance and related costs.
- The Australian Council for Safety and Quality in Health Care - a national body to improve the quality of health care. They have a range of resources for both health consuemrs and providers on topics including open disclosure, rights and responsibilites, and standards in health care.
Multicultural health information
Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) administratively supports the Australian Registration Boards for health practitioners, which are listed below. The Agency does accept complaints about registered health practitioners.
Health registration boards
Health professional councils in NSW
In NSW only, each of the national registration boards has a related health professional council who in co-regulation with the Commission deals with notifications and complaints about practitioners in NSW.
Health Professional Councils Authority (HPCA)
The Health Professional Councils Authority is an administrative body that supports the 14 health professional Councils that exist in NSW to perform their regulatory and legislative functions under the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme.
Health professional bodies
The Australian Health Directory lists health industry resources, including professional representation bodies for registered health professionals including colleges and associations.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files (links shown with the icon). This is a free program available from the Adobe web site.
Follow the download directions on the Adobe web site to get your copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.