Ms Lauren Murray, Pharmacist - reprimand and conditions imposed
19 July 2019
Ms Lauren Murray, a pharmacist, was employed as a locum at Broken Hill Hospital (“the Hospital”) in 2014. On 31 July 2018 the Tribunal found professional misconduct has been made out and in particular, that in 2014 during Ms Murray’s employment at the Hospital she:
• took at least 40 Codapane Forte tablets from the Hospital without permission and for her own use;
• entered a false entry in the Hospital’s dispensing software for the 40 Codapane Forte tablets that purported to be a supply to the Medical Ward;
• made a false statement to the Pharmacy Council as to why the 40 Codapane tablets could not be accounted for;
• took two bottles of 1mg/1mL morphine from the Hospital without permission.
The stage 1 decision can be found on NSW Caselaw.
The Tribunal handed down the protective orders following the earlier stage 1 determination on 15 July 2019. The Tribunal imposed a reprimand on Ms Murray’s registration and the following conditions:
• Ms Murray not work as a pharmacist-in-charge
• That Ms Murray be mentored by another registered pharmacist
• That Ms Murray submit to an audit of her practice
• That Ms Murray work no more than 40 hours per week
• That Ms Murray undertake a course in ethics and dispensing
The stage 2 decision can be found on NSW Caselaw.
For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 9219 7444 or send an email to email@example.com.
The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply. For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at www.ahpra.gov.au.