Dr Jamal Moussa – Medical practitioner – Unsatisfactory professional conduct and professional misconduct

9 November 2021

The Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted a complaint against Dr Jamal Moussa, medical practitioner, before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (‘The Tribunal’).

It was alleged that Dr Moussa failed to appropriately diagnose and manage the medical conditions of two patients, Patient A and her daughter, inappropriately prescribed Patient A schedule 4 and 8 medications and failed to comply with record keeping requirements. It was also alleged that Dr Moussa breached professional boundaries by inviting patient A to his home, and engaging in a sexual conduct with her, shortly after ceasing a therapeutic relationship.

In its 4 November 2021 decision, the Tribunal found Dr Moussa guilty of unsatisfactory professional conduct and professional misconduct. The Tribunal will determine protective orders following a further (Stage 2) hearing.

The full Tribunal decision can be found on NSW Caselaw.

Further Information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 9219 7444 or send an email to media@hccc.nsw.gov.au.

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply.  For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at www.ahpra.gov.au.

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint