Dr Peter Carr - Dentist - Registration Cancelled

12 May 2021

The Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted a complaint against Dr Peter David Carr, a dentist, before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.  

In its Stage 1 decision of 18 November 2020, the Tribunal found Dr Carr guilty of unsatisfactory professional conduct and professional misconduct. The basis of these findings were;

  • Dr Carr had been convicted and made the subject of criminal findings, namely guilty of possession of cocaine and  common assault and two counts of aggravated indecent assault against a dental nurse at the practice.
  • He had failed to notify the Dental Board of Australia in relation to the drug possession charge.
  • He inappropriately used the hypnotic agent Triazolam in his clinical practice and inappropriately restrained a patient.

In its Stage 2 decision of 10 May 2021, the Tribunal cancelled Dr Carr’’s registration as a dentist and ordered that Dr Carr not be able to review that order for a period of one year from the date of the decision.

The full Stage 2 decision is available at NSW Caselaw.

HCCC Media Statement  Stage 1 Decision

Further Information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 9219 7444 or send an email to media@hccc.nsw.gov.au.

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply. For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at www.ahpra.gov.au

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint