Mr John Peter Conte, Pharmacist – Unsatisfactory Professional Conduct, Reprimand and Conditions

The Health Care Complaints Commission brought a complaint against proprietor pharmacist, John Peter Conte, before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

The Commission alleged that the practitioner engaged in unsatisfactory professional conduct in that in April 2016 he was convicted of import of prohibited goods, namely 5 kilograms of testosterone enanthate and 2.5 kilograms of testosterone bozozate. The Commission also alleged that the pharmacist failed to notify the National Board within seven days of being charged and convicted of these offences.

In its decision dated 8 April 2021, the Tribunal found the allegations proven. The Tribunal reprimanded the practitioner and ordered him to undergo mentoring, to undergo external auditing and to not allow the compounding or manufacturing of any preparation containing testosterone to take place in any pharmacy in which he has a financial interest.

He was also ordered not to work as a pharmacist in charge for 24 months or a longer period to be determined by the Pharmacy Council of NSW.  A copy of the Tribunal’s decision can be found at NSW CaseLaw.

Further Information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 9219 7444 or send an email to

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply. For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint