Ms Karinna Payne – Enrolled nurse – Registration cancelled for Unsatisfactory Professional Conduct and Professional Misconduct

3 December 2021

The Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted a complaint against Ms Karinna Payne, enrolled nurse, before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (‘The Tribunal’). 

 It was alleged that, while working in the health system, Ms Payne:

  1. provided 12 falsified medical certificates to her hospital employer for claimed sick leave
  2. provided false and/or misleading information to the hospital employer on three occasions, and
  3. provided false and/or misleading information to the Nursing and Midwifery Council on two occasions.

On 1 December 2021, the Tribunal found the complaint proven and found Ms Payne guilty of unsatisfactory professional conduct and professional misconduct. The Tribunal cancelled Ms Payne’s registration with a non - review period of two years. The Tribunal remarked that the conduct was a ‘flagrant disregard for the obligations of the Respondent and a serious risk to the public and the good name of the nursing profession’.

The full decision can be found here:  NSW Caselaw

Further information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 02 9219 7444 or send an email to

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply.  For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at


Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint