Ms Nelley Youssef - Registered Nurse – Unsatisfactory Professional Conduct and Professional Misconduct

1 February 2021

The Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted a complaint against Registered Nurse, Ms Nelley Youssef before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

On 9 February 2017 an 80 year old patient who had a laryngeal stoma was found unresponsive. The Commission alleged that Ms Youssef had inappropriately agreed that a junior colleague apply dressing to the stoma and provided the dressing to the colleague for that purpose. It was also alleged that when the patient was later found unresponsive she failed to remove the dressing for resuscitation to occur and provided misleading information by stating that when she found the patient unresponsive, the dressing was not covering the stoma.

In its decision on 13 January 2021 the Tribunal found all allegations against Ms Youssef proved and that they amounted to unsatisfactory professional conduct and professional misconduct. 

The Tribunal will determine protective orders in Stage 2 proceedings.

A copy of the decision can be found on the NSW Caselaw website.

Further Information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 9219 7444 or send an email to

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply. For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint