Dr George Hatoum – Medical Practitioner – Suspension and conditions for criminal conviction

11 July 2022

The Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted a complaint against medical practitioner Dr George Hatoum before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (‘the Tribunal’).

It was alleged that on 9 December 2020, Dr Hatoum was convicted of offences of dishonestly obtaining financial advantage by deception and making a false document to obtain financial advantage, under the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW). These matters related to the falsification of medical records.

In its decision of 6 July 2022, the Tribunal found the complaint proven, and found the conduct to be ‘contrary to the ethical and legal practice of medicine’.

The Tribunal imposed a period of suspension for three months from the date of the hearing to 16 August 2022 and imposed a number of conditions on Dr Hatoum’s registration, to apply following the period of suspension.

The full decision can be found here: NSW Caselaw.

Further Information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 9219 7444 or send an email to media@hccc.nsw.gov.au.

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply. For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at www.ahpra.gov.au.

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint