Dr Kyle Mervin – Dentist – Failure to respond to Commission notices to produce information

17 October 2022

The Commission prosecuted Dr Kyle Mervin, a registered dental practitioner practising in West Gosford, in the NSW Local Court.

The prosecution related to his failure to assist the Commission in its assessments and investigation of complaints made about him. The Commission had issued two notices under sections 21A and 34A of the Health Care Complaints Act 1993 to obtain his patient records. Dr Mervin refused to acknowledge the legitimacy of process and failed to promptly provide the documents, which is an offence.

Mr Mervin was prosecuted before the Local Court and sentenced on 10 June 2022. Dr Mervin then appealed his sentence to the District Court. His Honour, Judge Hunt, found the charges proven and, without proceeding to conviction, imposed a two year conditional release order.

Further Information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 02 9219 7444 or send an email to media@hccc.nsw.gov.au.

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply. For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at www.ahpra.gov.au.

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint