Dr Murray Govan – Medical Practitioner – Cancellation for Professional Misconduct

19 January 2022

The Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted a complaint against Dr Murray Govan, medical practitioner, before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (‘the Tribunal’). It was alleged that the respondent had been convicted of a number of serious offences:

  • use of carriage service on 9 April 2019 to transmit child pornography;
  • possession of child abuse material between 9 and 11 April 2019; and
  • attempt to procure a child, being a fictitious child aged 11 years, between 18 March and 10 April 2019.

It was also alleged that the respondent failed to notify the National Board of being charged with these offences and that he was impaired within section 5 of the National Law.

In December 2021, the Tribunal found all of the Complaints proven. The Tribunal cancelled the respondent’s registration with a non-review period of five years.

The full decision can be found here: NSW Caselaw.

Further information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 02 9219 7444 or send an email to media@hccc.nsw.gov.au.

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply.  For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at www.ahpra.gov.au.

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint