Dr Paul Coghlan Martin – Medical Practitioner – Suspension for professional misconduct

22 March 2022

The Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted a complaint against medical practitioner, Dr Paul Martin before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (‘the Tribunal’). It was alleged that while working as a general practitioner in Hamilton, the practitioner:

  • engaged in a sexual relationship with Patient A from January to May 2005
  • following cessation of the sexual relationship, continued to  treat Patient A until August 2019;
  • prescribed Alprazolam and Nortriptyline to Patient A for an inappropriate quantity and frequency;
  • prescribed Temazepam without a clinical indication;
  • performed inappropriate pap smears and cervical examinations on Patient A; and,
  • did not maintain adequate clinical notes.

On 15 March 2022, the Tribunal found Dr Martin guilty of professional misconduct as a number of these allegations were proven. The Tribunal suspended Dr Martin’s registration for 6 months, remarking that the sexual relationship was a serious violation of professional boundaries and such a boundary crossing is unacceptable.  

Tribunal: The full decision can be found here: NSW CaseLaw

Further Information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 9219 7444 or send an email to media@hccc.nsw.gov.au.

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply. For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at www.ahpra.gov.au.


Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint