Dr Rowan Godwin – Medical practitioner – Suspension and reprimand for professional misconduct

17 February 2022

The Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted a complaint against general practitioner Dr Rowan Godwin before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (‘the Tribunal’). It was alleged that between 2012 and 2014 Dr Godwin inappropriately treated his then partner (Patient A) including by prescribing to her, failing to keep adequate records of his treatment, and on 22 July 2014 using his medical knowledge to aid Patient A to suicide.  It was also alleged that Dr Godwin was convicted in the Local Court of NSW of a criminal offence of “aid or abet suicide/attempted suicide of another”. It was alleged that Dr Godwin improperly misled emergency services about the extent of his involvement in the suicide of Patient A.

On 11 February 2022 the Tribunal found all of the complaints proven and found Dr Godwin guilty of professional misconduct. The Tribunal suspended him from practise for six months commencing 26 February 2022 and imposed a reprimand.  

The full decision can be found here: NSW Caselaw.

Further Information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 02 9219 7444 or send an email to media@hccc.nsw.gov.au.

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply. For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at www.ahpra.gov.au.


Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint