Dr Vincent Dzung Tran – Medical Practitioner – Cancellation of registration and prohibition order for unsatisfactory professional conduct and professional misconduct

28 October 2022

The Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted a complaint against medical practitioner Dr Vincent Dzung Tran before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (‘the Tribunal’).

It was alleged that on 23 May 2020, while working at Wollongong District Hospital, Dr Tran:

  • Conducted inappropriate intimate examinations on a patient.
  • Failed to make adequate records of the examinations and his assessment of the patient.

In its decision of 25 October 2022, the Tribunal found the complaint proven. The Tribunal found that Dr Tran was guilty of unsatisfactory professional conduct and professional misconduct. The Tribunal cancelled Dr Tran’s registration with a non-review period and prohibition order for 1 year.

The full decision can be found here: NSW Caselaw

Further Information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 02 9219 7444 or send an email to media@hccc.nsw.gov.au.

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply. For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at www.ahpra.gov.au.

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint