Mr Richard Whittle – Registered Nurse – Registration Cancelled for Unsatisfactory Professional Conduct and Professional Misconduct

19 December 2022

The Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted a complaint against Registered Nurse Richard Whittle before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (‘the Tribunal’).

It was alleged that between February 2019 and August 2020, while working at a mental health unit in Taree, Mr Whittle:  

  • Breached numerous conditions of his registration.
  • Sexually harassed and objectified female staff and patients.
  • Bullied and intimidated his colleagues.
  • Failed to provide information requested by the Nursing and Midwifery Council and the Health Care Complaints Commission.

On 9 December 2022, the Tribunal found these allegations proven and found Mr Whittle guilty of unsatisfactory professional conduct and professional misconduct. The initial (Stage 1) decision can be found here: NSW Caselaw

In making its protective orders on 16 December 2022, the Tribunal cancelled Mr Whittle’s registration with a non-review period of two and a half years.

The Stage 2 decision can be found here: NSW Caselaw

Further Information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 9219 7444 or send an email to

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply.  For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint