Ms Hellen Haines – Registered Nurse – Disqualification for unsatisfactory professional conduct and professional misconduct

16 June 2022

The Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted a complaint against registered nurse, Ms Helen Haines, before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (‘the Tribunal’).  It was alleged that between 2 August 2019 and 25 March 2021, while working at the Albury and District Aged Care Nursing Home, Ms Haines:

  • had been convicted of a criminal offence and failed to inform the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency;
  • fraudulently attempted to fill a prescription for morphine issued in the name of a patient; and,
  • provided false and misleading information to her employer and to the Commission.

In June 2022, the Tribunal found the complaint proven and found Ms Haines guilty of unsatisfactory professional conduct and professional misconduct. The Tribunal ordered that, if Ms Haines was still registered, her registration would have been cancelled and disqualified her from being registered as a nurse for 1 year.

The full decision can be found here: NSW Caselaw.

Further Information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 9219 7444 or send an email to

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply. For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at


Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint