Ms Sara Ellen Day – Enrolled Nurse – Unsatisfactory professional conduct

31 October 2022

The Health Care Complaints Commission prosecuted a complaint against Enrolled Nurse Sara Ellen Day before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (‘the Tribunal’).

The complaint alleged various failures relating to Ms Day’s treatment of a man who was found deceased in his cell at Parklea Correctional Centre on the morning of 7 December 2017.

It was alleged that on 6-7 December 2017, while working at Parklea Correctional Centre, Ms Day failed to:

  • Read the clinical notes and health records of the patient.
  • Implement the treatment plan ordered by the treating medical officer.

In its decision of 27 October 2022, the Tribunal found those elements of the complaint proven and found Ms Day guilty of unsatisfactory professional conduct.

The Tribunal will determine protective orders following a further (Stage 2) hearing.

The full decision can be found here: NSW Caselaw

Further Information

For further information, contact the Executive Officer of the Health Care Complaints Commission, on 02 9219 7444 or send an email to

The information in this media release is correct at the time of publication. Orders may change; for example, conditions may no longer apply. For current information regarding the status of a registered health practitioner, including any conditions that currently apply, please check the National Register at

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint