Opportunity to improve the health complaint & notification process Old


Researchers from The University of Sydney are undertaking an independent and anonymous survey about how complaints and notifications made against registered doctors, nurses, midwives, dental practitioners, psychologists and pharmacists are managed.

Everyone who has made a complaint or notification that was managed by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), a National Board, the NSW Health Care Complaints Commission (HCCC) or a NSW Health Professional Council relating to one of these five health professions and whose complaint or notification is closed in the period 1 July 2013 to 30 June 2014 will be invited to participate in a survey.

The Health Care Complaints Commission is not conducting the survey, but we are supporting it because it is part of a series of studies that will help improve the management of complaints and notifications in the future. Individuals and organisations whose complaint or notification is closed in this period will automatically be sent a letter with further details. This letter should arrive in the month after you received a letter advising that your complaint or notification has been finalised and closed.

If you do not receive a letter and your matter was about one of the health professionals listed above, you can contact: research@hccc.nsw.gov.au

If you have questions about the study, contact the research leader at The University of Sydney, Suzanne Pierce.

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint