Check my practitioner


A public register of all registered health practitioners is available on the website of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency. (Ahpra)

You can type your practitioner’s name into Ahpra’s registration database to check their registration. If someone’s name appears on the register, they are registered and can practise within the scope of their registration.

Ahpra also has a list of cancelled practitioners and a list of practitioners who have given an undertaking not to practise.

The Commission is required to publish the names of health practitioners whose registration has been cancelled or suspended by a NSW Tribunal. The Commission issues media releases in relation to such decisions.

A health practitioner whose registration has been cancelled is forbidden to practise the profession. This means that a practitioner, whose registration has been cancelled or suspended in NSW, is automatically also banned from practising in all other Australian states and territories. In return, a practitioner whose registration was cancelled in another state or territory is automatically banned from working in the profession in NSW.

Reasons for the cancellation of a NSW practitioner’s registration are included in the relevant decision by the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal. For decisions relating to practitioners practising in other states or territories, please go to the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency's website.


A non-registered practitioner is any person who provides a health service, who is not registered under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (NSW), or who provides health services that are unrelated to their registration.

Non-registered health practitioners such as counsellors, audiologists, naturopaths and massage therapists must adhere to the NSW Code of Conduct for non-registered health practitioners.

Where the Commission finds that a non-registered health practitioner has breached the code of conduct and poses a risk to public health and safety, it can issue an order prohibiting the person from providing health services for a period of time. The Commission’s register of prohibition orders can be viewed here.

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint