Who can make a complaint?

Any person can make a complaint, including:

  • the person who experienced the problem.
  • a parent or guardian of the person or child concerned.
  • a relative, friend or representative chosen by the person concerned for the purpose of making the complaint.
  • a health service provider or other concerned person.
  • the Commission, who can initiate an “own motion” complaint if it becomes aware of significant risks to public health and safety or significant concerns about a health service provider.

If you are making a complaint on behalf of another person, written authority from that person will assist the Commission to process the complaint. Written authority is also necessary if the Commission requires access to the medical records of the person who experienced the problem. Written authority from the person is not required if they are under the age of 18 or deceased.

Still need more information

If you would like to speak to someone at the Commission for more information before you lodge a written complaint you can contact the Inquiry Line during business hours, Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm on 1800 043 159 or submit an online inquiry.

Online inquiry

Ready to lodge your complaint

All complaints must be made in writing and we aim to assess complaints within 60 days. Your complaint will be allocated to an assessment officer and we will write to you to explain the outcome of your complaint.

Click here to make a complaint

Track my complaint

You can track the progress of your complaint online.

Click here to track your complaint